Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Social Policy

Its a hard class and a little boring mainly about Social Welfare Policy (TANF) and Child Abuse/Neglect.

Well today my professor started talking about "the thing going on in Texas...400 kids getting taken out of their homes." Well I had not idea about the fundamentalist Mormons and all of it (which now I have educated myself on cnn.com) His response was the following: " You are a college student and should know what is going on in our world today, you need not be ignorant on world events." To which I responded (very politely) "Well I watched to local news last night and saw nothing about this." Which I had but really just to keep the scoop on the new Hillary and Obama fight.

He went on to say, "I don't understand when college students don't know whats going on, do you know what the War in Iraq is?" To which my classmate and someone I have gotten close to got angry. She yelled a little...

With all this said I GOT INTO THE SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK today. Even with not knowing current news reports.

3 comments:

stephanie said...

ugh mean people suck.

Cameron said...

i got in an argument in my gender & women's studies class the other day with this girl. and a girl in class that i had gotten to be friends with got angry and defended me, too! weird! mine was about mothers & whether or not it's appropriate (seriously, is it the 50's?) for a woman to work and be a mother.

i was flabbergasted by this girl who actually thought that you HAD to stay home if you have kids. i mean, it's 2008! you can stay home, you can work, you can work part time, you can do whatever you want!! omg!

Yoli said...

I'm sorry your IGNORANT prof was a jerk to you Em. That's just another jewel in your crown (as you say).

What a jerk!